The charter of the Marceline State Bank was issued December 23, 1907, by Hon. John E. Swanger, Secretary of State of Missouri. The capital stock was $20,000.
A building was erected and opened for business at 107 North Kansas Avenue, where Reece’s confectionery was located. In May 1909, the present building was purchased. The new … > More >
OUR FIRST BORN SON
Claud C. Dail, the first child born in Marceline was the second son of Mr. and Mrs. R.J. Dail. He was born March 6, 1888 – the same day that Marceline was incorporated.
He lived here all of his life and operated a barber shop until 1929 when he and … > More >
In 1955 Mrs. Thelma Braley purchased the rest home which she now operates as the King Rest Home at 215 West Walker in Marceline. At that time the home supported six guests and was largely lacking in the modern facilities now required for the procurement of a State license.
In the past eight years … > More >
The L. L. Hamilton family moved to Marceline from Leffler, Missouri in 1900 in a spring wagon with a cow tied behind it. Curt Minich moved their furniture in another wagon.
There had been a drought and very little water was available as most wells were dry. They were fortunate to find a small house … > More >
Charles Kienast, who was our local cigar manufacturer, was a native of Illinois, having first seen the light in La Salle county, that state, October 25, 1862. In 1869 his parents removed to Marshall County, Kansas, and he grew up on the farm to the age of seventeen, doing the usual work of … > More >
The Ladies’ Home Culture Club was organized October 3, 1901. The club had its beginning as four friends sat around a card table at the home of Mrs. Grace West. The date was September of 1901 and the other three women were Mrs. Bird Sweet, Mrs. Yocum, and Miss Nine Kendrick. Conversation turned to the … > More >
Mike Petska came to the United States, from old Bohemia in about 1875 and found work in a Marble Factory in Chicago, Illinois.
In Chicago, he met Miss Kathryn Zindell, who had also come to Chicago, to be with an older sister. Though they both came from the same town they were not … > More >
The Marceline Recreation Board was formed under the auspices of the City Council and appointed by the Mayor to provide recreational facilities and activities for the people of Marceline.
The Recreation Board was first formed in March of 1962 and the Mayor appointed Bob Murray, Paul Johnson, John Klumb, Eugene Crippin and Sondra Lake to … > More >
Walter Olin Hainds was born July 11, 1883 on a farm eight miles southeast of Marceline in Chariton County. He was the son of George Dewitt and Betty Hainds.
He attended Salisbury Academy and Chillicothe Business College.
After returning to Marceline he worked for several years for Fred Loeb in the Mercantile Store.
Later, he … > More >