The Moore Company, known locally as the “fan factory,” was founded in Kansas City, Missouri, in the summer of 1940 as a proprietorship by Robert D. Moore. Mr. Moore had previously been employed as a design and development engineer for J. F. Pritchard & Company of Kansas City, and while there, had developed a … > More >
In the fall of 1870, Rush Floyd Landreth, wife Arenia and their two children, Elsie and Joseph arrived by train from Carroll County, Virginia. In 1882 they bought 80 acres of land located just west of Marceline, from the Hannibal and Saint Joseph Railroad Company.
In 1886, preliminary surveys for the Chicago, Santa Fe and … > More >
As drill testing for coal was their livelihood, two brothers, Stephen Albert and Enoch Landreth invested in a small hollow rod turn drill which they purchased from Peter Carmichael for $500.
This was in 1905 and shortly after, they were joined in this enterprise by their brother, Joseph.
Their first drilling was done on the … > More >
Although liquidated ten years ago, the McAllister Creamery & Bottling Works, operating as “Marceline’s First Factory” from 1923 until 1953, played a significant role in the growth and development of Marceline. Any history of Marceline would be incomplete without proper mention of the McAllister firm, as well as the McAllister family itself, for the public … > More >
In 1949 R. Wallace Pischel of 728 East Gracia Street, Marceline, Missouri started a specialized printing business in his home. The business operated under his name and for the most part printed cookbooks. A year later he built a plant at 726 East Gracia Street and broadened his printing business to include high school yearbooks.… > More >
Cimarron Lumber & Supply Company opened its Marceline branch in June 1956 in the McAllister Creamery Building, manufacturing aluminum storm sashes. In 1958, negotiations were completed for the purchase of the Service Pipeline Building. After extensive remodeling, the manufacturing of doors was added. In 1960, the move was completed and all operations were concentrated at … > More >
The Cater Opera House was built by Dr. W. A. Cater in 1902 and was formally opened in October.
In the early days, stock companies appeared here for one-week stands, with a change of program every night. The Mayhall Stock Company of Goren, Missouri, which played here many seasons, was one of the favorites. The … > More >
The charter of the Marceline State Bank was issued December 23, 1907, by Hon. John E. Swanger, Secretary of State of Missouri. The capital stock was $20,000.
A building was erected and opened for business at 107 North Kansas Avenue, where Reece’s confectionery was located. In May 1909, the present building was purchased. The new … > More >
Edgar Reece started the business some years before his marriage to Allie Williams in 1912. At that time the firm was located at 108 South Kansas Avenue. The business was destroyed by fire in 1928 and it was about six months before the Reeces’ opened up again in the present location of 107 North Kansas … > More >