Peter Wright Sears was born on a farm near Bedford, Lawrence County, Indiana, October 2, 1846. On May 7, 1864, he enlisted in Company E. of the 136th Regiment of Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He remained with his company until the end of the war, when he was honorably discharged.
He was married to Mary Emeline Boyd at Bedford, December 20, 1867. Four children were born – Mrs. Ada Mason, Mrs. Etta Watson, Luther Sears, and Mrs. Myrtle Steiner; four grandsons – S. C. Mason, Kenneth Watson, Steves Steiner, and George A. Steiner; one granddaughter, Mary Elizabeth Sears McCollum.
In the year 1885, Mr. Sears moved with his family to Mendon, Missouri. The mother and children came on the train and the men folks in covered wagons, bringing extra horses and milk cows tied to the wagons. One faithful old hound dog walked all the way. Mr. Sears settled at Rothville, remaining there until 1889 when he moved to Marceline and was employed by the Santa Fe Railroad. He retired in 1916. He was a member of the G. A. R. Post and at his death, five members were living. He united with the Christian Church by letter, September 3, 1891. He passed away January 11, 1925. The residence of P. W. Sears, from 1894 until his death, was owned and occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Otis DeLong, 122 West Gracia Avenue.