In March 1903, the B. F. Simpson family of Kansas City and the J. B. Miller family from Tina, Missouri came to Marceline. They opened a dry goods and women’s ready-to-wear store in the B. B. Putman building near the present site of the James McLaughlin building.
Mr. Simpson started his career in merchandising … > More >
John Wilson Porter came to Marceline from Bynumville and was among the first settlers. He was an active home builder and contractor and some of his work were the buildings where Simpson & Miller Dry Goods Store, Reece’s Confectionery, and Otto Zurcher Millinery Shop were on Kansas Avenue. There are two houses … > More >
George Holloway and Mary Morgan Hazelrigg came to Missouri with their family from Barry, Illinois. They traveled by covered wagon and crossed the Mississippi River at Hannibal, Missouri on a ferry. Their furniture was sent by the way of the Burlington Railroad to Bucklin, Missouri.
The family settled on a farm just north … > More >
Early in the year 1894, J. T. Wallar came to Marceline and purchased the Burch Grocery Store located at the southwest corner of Kansas Avenue and Howell Streets.
Mr. Wallar soon brought his family here, consisting of Mrs. Wallar, two sons, Stephen and Samuel, and two daughters, Elizabeth and Florence.
The two sons became … > More >
In 1949 R. Wallace Pischel of 728 East Gracia Street, Marceline, Missouri started a specialized printing business in his home. The business operated under his name and for the most part printed cookbooks. A year later he built a plant at 726 East Gracia Street and broadened his printing business to include high school yearbooks.… > More >
Note: The following article containing a history of the first 50 years of Marceline was reproduced from the 1938 Golden Jubilee edition of the Marceline News. Floyd C. Shoemaker, secretary of the State Historical Society of Missouri, has written the following interesting and complete history of Marceline. Mr. Shoemaker is a Linn County product, having … > More >
William Montgomery came to Marceline in February 1888, and bought several lots from the Santa Fe Land Company and started building a home at the northwest corner of the 100 Block of West Walker Street. Many of the early residences in the community were built by Mr. Montgomery. He also developed an area known … > More >
John R. and Florence Twyman Wrenn, who were pioneer citizens of Marceline, were united in marriage in 1872 in Chariton County and came to Marceline in 1888 from Thomas Hill, Missouri.
This union was blessed with seven children: Frank William, Anna Wrenn Barnes, Everett, Lillian Wrenn Gridley, Mabel Wrenn Wallovick, … > More >
The L. L. Hamilton family moved to Marceline from Leffler, Missouri in 1900 in a spring wagon with a cow tied behind it. Curt Minich moved their furniture in another wagon.
There had been a drought and very little water was available as most wells were dry. They were fortunate to find a small house … > More >