When Samuel E. Smith came to Marceline in April 1888 to help build the roundhouse, he found a tent city. Later in the year he purchased the house that is still standing at 107 West Street. He traded a team of horses and a wagon for the house. The family lived in the house until Mr. Smith’s death in 1947. The original four-room house was enlarged to seven rooms and a bath. There were five children – Walter C. of Julesburg, Colorado; Margaret J. Rensimer and Lucy Smith of Marceline, and Connie and Frank F., both deceased.