Mr. Steiner was the oldest merchant at the time that he retired. He came to Marceline from Fairfield, Illinois, in January 1888 and opened a clothing store known as “The Globe” on Santa Fe Avenue for some weeks while a building (now occupied by State Bank) was being finished for his use. In 1909 he moved to what is now The Ben Franklin Store building, and remained there until 1936. He was assisted through the years by his son Frank S. Steiner.
Sigmund Steiner was born in Austria, May 9, 1856. He came to America when he was nine years old and first settled in St. Louis, where he received his education. He was united in marriage with Georgia Steves at Flora, Illinois on January 2, 1879. Two sons were born to this union – Frank S. and Charles S. Steiner. Sig was a kindly, lovable man. He always had a warm hand and a warm heart for this legion of friends. Side by side with other leading citizens of Marceline he was a stout defender for his town.
Mrs. Steiner was instrumental in organizing various women’s clubs and much credit is due her efforts in obtaining a Carnegie Library for Marceline. Mr. Steiner passed away January 11, 1937, and Mrs. Steiner in 1944. Mrs. Steiner was an active member of the Methodist Church.